• 68 – The Roman Emperor Nero commits suicide, after quoting Homer’s Iliad, thus ending the Julio-Claudian dynasty and starting the civil year known as the Year of the Four Emperors.
• 1534 – Jacques Cartier is the first European to discover the Saint Lawrence River.
• 1873 – Alexandra Palace in London burns down after being open for only 16 days.
• 1900 – Birsa Munda, an important figure in the Indian independence movement, dies in a British prison under mysterious circumstances.
• 1934 – Donald Duck makes his debut in The Wise Little Hen.
• 1958 – Queen Elizabeth II officially opens London’s Gatwick Airport in Crawley, West Sussex, United Kingdom.