June 14 Events
• 1158 – Munich is founded by Henry the Lion on the banks of the river Isar.
• 1287 – Kublai Khan defeats the force of Nayan and other traditionalist Borjigin princes in East Mongolia andManchuria.
• 1777 – The Stars and Stripes is adopted by Congress as the Flag of the United States.
• 1789 – Mutiny on the Bounty: HMS Bounty mutiny survivors including Captain William Bligh and 18 others reach Timor after a nearly 7,400 km (4,600 mi) journey in an open boat.
• 1800 – The French Army of First Consul Napoleon Bonaparte defeats the Austrians at the Battle of Marengo in Northern Italy and re-conquers Italy.
• 1807 – Emperor Napoleon’s French Grande Armée defeats the Russian Army at the Battle of Friedland in Poland (modern RussianKaliningrad Oblast) ending the War of the Fourth Coalition.
• 1822 – Charles Babbage proposes a difference engine in a paper to the Royal Astronomical Society entitled „Note on the application of machinery to the computation of astronomical and mathematical tables”.
• 1940 – World War II: Paris falls under German occupation, and Allied forces retreat.
• 1940 – A group of 728 Polish political prisoners from Tarnów become the first residents of the Auschwitz concentration camp.
• 1947 – Roswell UFO incident
• 1967 – Mariner program: Mariner 5 is launched towards Venus.