The first electric lighting system with overhead wires
Originally shared by Ed Pearce
The first electric lighting system employing overhead wires, built by Thomas Edison, begun service at Roselle, New Jersey on January 19, 1883. Edison’s desire was to demonstrate that an entire community could be lit by electricity.
The First Presbyterian Church, located on the corner of West 5th Avenue and Chestnut Street in Roselle, was the first church in the world to be lit by electricity.