Jan van Riebeeck’s resupply camp, later Cape Town
Originally shared by Ed Pearce
Dutch sailor Jan van Riebeeck established a resupply camp for the Dutch East India Company on April 6, 1652, which eventually became the South African city of Cape Town.
Jan van Riebeeck also established the gardens at Kirstenbosch in order to provide fresh vegetables and fruit for Dutch East India Company ships.
The Dutch controlled the settlement (with the help of a French garrison) from 1781 to 1795, when it was bought by the British during the Napoleonic War for $6 million. It reverted to Dutch control from 1803 to 1806, when on January 10th it was once again occupied by British troops.
In 1814 Cape Town became the capital of the British Cape Colony.
From 1904 to 1961 Cape Town was the legislative capital of the Union of South Africa, and subsequently of the Republic of South Africa.